Mahdi's Curriculum VitaeDownload Mahdi's curriculum Vitae
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering (Minor), Iowa State University, 2011-2016. (3.61 GPA)
M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Tehran, 2006-2009. (3.39 GPA)
B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic), 2002-2006. (3.33 GPA)
Allameh Helli high school (Tehran Exceptional Talents), 1998-2002
Post-doctoral fellow, Micro/Nanoscale Thermal Science Laboratory, Iowa State University, 2016-present.
- Laser-line scanning and infrared temperature field imaging for infiltration diagnosis.
- Image and video analysis and data processing and presentation using MATLAB.
- Control and automation of experimental setup and data collection using LabVIEW.
Graduate Teaching Assistant, Iowa State University, 2014-2016.
- Lead TA for the last two semesters, reviewing and revising laboratory procedures and materials
- Teaching the laboratory portion of the Fluid Mechanics course (ME 335)
Graduate Research Assistant, Laser based flow measurements laboratory, Iowa State University, 2011-2016.
- Incorporation of various measurement instruments including Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV), Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence (PLIF), fast camera image collection, image processing using MATLAB, and local measurement of mass transfer.
- Design and manufacture of experimental apparatus including Fixed Bed Two Phase reactor, Multi Inlet Vortex Mixer, and Taylor-Couette Vortex reactor.
- Design of the concept of experiment for non-invasive measurement of bubble size in a Taylor-Couette reactor.
- Mentoring new graduate students and managing undergraduate workers for laboratory practices including usage and maintenance of equipment and safety.
Senior Engineer, Vehicle Fuel and Environment Research Institute (VFERI), University of Tehran, 2006-2009.
- head of the management consultant group (team of 14 engineers) in the Joint project on technology transfer of a heavy duty Diesel engine between VFERI, DESA, and IFCO.
- Feasibility study for development of light duty Diesel engines in Iran.
- Development of a phenomenological Diesel spray simulation code
Engineer, DESA Co., 2006. Preparation of the national heavy Diesel engine charter.
International invited speaker hosting committee, annual conference of the Iranian Society for Mechanical Engineers (ISME), University of Tehran, 2009.
Refereed Journal Articles
M. Ramezani and M. G. Olsen. Experimental investigation of hydrodynamic fluid-particle interactions for a fixed train of spherical particles inside a square duct. Under preparation.
M. Ramezani, B. Sun, S. Subramaniam, M. G. Olsen. Detailed experimental and numerical investigation of hydrodynamic fluid-particle interactions using velocity field comparison of a fixed train of particles inside a square duct. Under preparation.
M. Ramezani, M. J. Legg, A. Haghighat, Z. Li, R. D. Vigil, M. G. Olsen. Experimental investigation of the evolution of bubble size distribution, number density, and shape in a vertical gas-liquid multiphase Taylor-Couette vortex bioreactor. Under preparation.
1. M. Ramezani, M. J. Legg, A. Haghighat, Z. Li, R. D. Vigil, M. G. Olsen. Experimental investigation of the effect of ethyl alcohol surfactant on oxygen mass transfer and bubble size distribution in an air-water multiphase Taylor-Couette vortex bioreactor, Chemical Engineering Journal. Under revision.
2. M. Ramezani, B. Kong, X. Gao, M. G. Olsen, R. D. Vigil, Experimental measurement of oxygen mass transfer and bubble size distribution in an air-water multiphase Taylor-Couette vortex bioreactor, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2015.
3. X. Gao, B. Kong, M. Ramezani, M. G. Olsen, R. D. Vigil, An adaptive model for gas-liquid mass transfer in a Taylor vortex reactor, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2015.
4. Z. Liu, M. Ramezani, R. O. Fox, J. C. Hill, M. G. Olsen, Flow Characteristics in a Scaled-up Multi-inlet Vortex Nanoprecipitation Reactor, Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, 2015.
5. R. Hosseini, M. Ramezani, M. R. Mazaheri, Experimental Study of Turbulent Forced Convection in Vertical Eccentric Annulus, Energy Conversion and Management, 2009.
Conference Proceedings and Presentations
1. X. Gao, B. Kong, M. Ramezani, M. G. Olsen, R. D. Vigil. Experimental Measurement and CFD-PBM Simulation of Bubble Size Distribution in a gas-Liquid Taylor Vortex Reactor, Proceedings of the annual AICHE meeting, 2016.
2. X. Gao, B. Kong, M. Ramezani, M. G. Olsen, R. D. Vigil. CFD Investigation of Gas-Liquid Mass Transfer in a Multiphase Taylor-Couette Reactor, Proceedings of the annual AICHE meeting, 2015.
3. M. Ramezani and M. G. Olsen, Stereographic PIV in a three media environment without prism correction, International Symposium on Particle Image Velocimetry, 2015.
4. Z. Liu, M. Ramezani, J. C. Hill, R. O. Fox, M. G. Olsen, Velocity field and passive scalar mixing measurements in a multi-inlet vortex reactor, International Symposium on Particle Image Velocimetry, 2015
5. M. Ramezani, S. Subramaniam, M. G. Olsen, Investigation of Pseudo Turbulent Scalar Transport in Two Phase Fluid Flow and Passive Scalar Mixing using Simultaneous SPIV/PLIF, Proceedings of the ASME Summer Meeting, 2014.
6. X. Gao, B. Kong, M. Ramezani, R. D. Vigil, M. G. Olsen, Gas-Liquid Mass Transfer in Taylor-Couette Flow: Experiment and Simulation, AIChE Annual Meeting, 2014.
7. A. Salavati-Zadeh, V. Esfahanian, A. Afshari, M. Ramezani, A Multi Zone Spray Model for Formation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Soot, Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress, 2013.
8. V. Esfahanian, M. Ramezani, A. Salavatizadeh, A. Kahrobaian, K. Alizad, Diesel Engine Cycle Simulation Using Multi-Zone Spray Model and Stoichiometric Combustion, International Conference on Internal Combustion Engines, 2009.
9. V. Esfahanian, K. Alizad, A. Salavatizadeh, M. Ramezani, M. Mohammadzadeh, Numerical 1-D Simulation of Internal Combustion Engines Considering Entropy Level Changes, International Conference on Internal Combustion Engines, 2009.
10. M. Ramezani, S. Subramaniam, M. G. Olsen, Experimental Investigation of Two Phase Fluid Flow and Passive Scalar Mixing around a Periodic Array of Spheres, American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, November 2013.
Proficient in laboratory methods of Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV), Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence (PLIF), High Speed Imaging, and video and Image Processing, both data acquisition and analysis.
Experienced in point measurement of Heat and Mass Transfer in fluid media.
Skilled in Design of Experiment and Apparatus Development based on benchmarking and numerical simulations.
Proficient in using MATLAB for video processing, image processing, and data analysis and presentation.
Skilled in using LabVIEW for instrument setup and automation.
Proficient in using SolidWorks and experienced with other CAD softwares including AutoCAD and ProE.
Proficient in using MS Office products, specifically, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Honours and Awards
Teaching Excellence Award, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2015.
Best B.Sc. thesis of the year, Awarded the Nationwide prize in the division of fluid mechanics from the Iranian Society for Mechanical Engineers (ISME), Kerman, Iran, 2008.
Ranked 3rd and won special award of the First National Robotic Contest, Tehran, Iran, 1999.
Graduate representative, International Student Advisory Board (ISAB) of the International Student and Scholar Organization (ISSO), 2015-2016.
Host, granular mixing workshop for the talented and gifted middle school students, Office of Precollegiate Programs for Talented and Gifted (OPPTAG), 2015.
President, Mechanical Engineering Graduate Students Organization (MEGSO), 2014-2015.
Voting Board Member, International Fee committee collaborating with the International Student and Scholar Organization (ISSO), 2014.
Senator of the ME department and member of the finance committee, Graduate and Professional Students Senate (GPSS), 2013-2014.
University Relations and Legislative Affairs (URLA) officer, MEGSO, 2013-2014.
Senior Mentor, Mechanical Engineering department, MEGSO, 2013-2015.
Treasurer, Iranian Students’ and Scholars’ Association (ISSA), 2012-2014.
Graduate Mentor, College of Engineering's E-Mentors Program, 2012-2013.
Member, ISU Mountaineering and Climbing Club (MCC), 2011-2013.
Member, Amirkabir's Students Scientific Association of Mechanical Engineering (ASSAME), 2003-2005.
Measurement Uncertainty, ASME 2014 4th Joint US-European Fluids Engineering Division Summer Meeting, 2014.
Engine Design Trends and Design of HSDI Diesel Engine, International Conference on Internal Combustion Engines, 2009.
Turbulence and its Modeling, Annual (International) Conference on Mechanical Engineering, 2009.
I am native in Farsi, fluent in English, can read and barely speak Arabic, and know some German (Deutch).